Tuesday, February 3, 2009

RV Repair vs. Trade-in Debate

Even before I got to Austin I was considering whether or not to get a newer motorhome or just fix the one I have. Inspiration is now 9 years old and it was certainly now having its “issues.”

When the refrigerator went out, that was something I could not ignore. I had been living without a microwave/convection oven for months now by using a toaster oven while I was trying to decide what to do, but nothing can substitute for a refrigerator except another refrigerator. Once I found out that to replace my current refrigerator would cost in the thousands (and to add insult to injury, my windshield would have to be removed in order to get the refrigerator in and out), it was suggested that I should just get a regular household refrigerator. But I didn’t like that idea at all. I feel that if I’m going to fulltime RV, I want the ability to switch the power from electric to propane to run the refrigerator. The ability to boondock is essential in my book.

So the greatest stroke of good luck that I’d had in a very long time was that it turned out that the problem with the refrigerator was covered by a Norcold recall notice. What a blessing - this big problem was going to be fixed at no expense to me.

But the next problem that came to scare me the most was with the slide. It had slowly become reluctant to come out and was obviously out of alignment. At one point, when trying to retract it, it completely freaked out, went all crooked on me and made terrible noises while one side went down and the other one stayed put. It took a mobile repair service and $200 just to get it in and in good enough shape to drive it to the Winnebago dealer for the big fix.

While I was there, it was great to see Rob was still at Crestview RV. He was the salesman who turned me on to the people from whom I bought Inspiration way back in 2001. I wrote about that case of “kismet” on my website Inspiration’s Journey in The Long Answer about how I started fulltime RVing.

He showed me a new motorhome that was listed in the $90,000 range and we talked about the terms I could expect in our current totally screwed up market. Even though this may be a good time to buy a new RV because of the diminished demand and tighter credit, I found out that also means my older motorhome is now not worth as much as I owe on it, at least for sure not on a trade-in basis. I was not happy to find out I was upside down on my loan for the first time in the years since I bought it.

I was so careful to do all the right things to avoid that happening - not only had I gotten a fabulously good deal from the private seller, I put 10% down and amortized the loan over 15 years even though I could have gotten lower payments over a longer term.

All this is bad news not only for me, but it also made me sad that this market is so bad Rob is seriously considering having to get out of the business after 9 years - such a shame because he loves what he does and he’s really good at it - knowledgeable and experienced, yet empathetic toward the customer - the best combination in a salesman.

Besides that, the new motorhome I saw that day did not turn me on in the least. Not only would my payments be considerably more than they are now, I would be deeper in longer lasting debt for something that was not nearly as comfortable with all the bells and whistles I had become used to in my fulltime home. I knew I wouldn’t like having to downgrade amenities to that extent for even more money.

I finally decided that if I could pay out about $2,000 total to get Inspiration really road worthy again, that I would be better off doing that. My tires were great and only a year old and now I had a newly repaired refrigerator, two of the biggest ticket items there are. Mileage was still under 50,000 miles and I’d made sure to keep the engine well maintained and serviced.

Turned out that by the time I got Crestview to fix the slide, service the generator, check and reseal the roof where necessary, and some other more minor repairs, then got the microwave/convection replaced with a new one, and replaced the engine battery I am about at that threshold.

But I’m happy with my decision at this point. I honestly don’t know how much longer I’ll be willing or able to fulltime RV. But all this having to seriously consider NOT doing it (even though for some seemingly very good, practical reasons) has convinced me that I’m still not immune to the travel bug.

So I’ve got a few more months to get ready for the next leg of the adventure when I leave for Michigan in mid May. Not only am I looking forward to meeting a couple of my virtual attorney clients up in the Bloomfield Hills area, but I’ve always wanted to see the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. One of my all time favorite sappy movies is “Somewhere in Time” which was filmed there, so it’s been on my “must see” list for quite a while.

If any Michigan area RVers are reading this and have any tips about campgrounds or anything else, I’d sure appreciate hearing them!

17 comments:

Darrell said...

I'm very happy to see that you've posted. I was becoming more and more concerned as time went by. I understand your reluctance to post anything with all of the sressors that seems to be revolving around you.
In your earlier post, you mentioned your feeling of being a hypocrite. It is my belief that is an unfounded fear in your case. The inspiration that you willingly and apparently unknowingly give people is based on what you've already done, not what your currently doing. No matter what happens, a persons great past can not be taken away or rewritten when everyone knows the truth.
I've never commented on your posts before even though I've followed it for years. I just wanted you to know that you were missed.
Good luck to you.

Darrell

ps: Somewhere in Time is my favorite too. Be sure to take a penny with you when you visit the Hotel.

Malia said...

Oh wow, Darrell - what a nice and most welcome message! Thank you SO much for your kind words - they mean more to me than you could imagine. You're right in that I've been so overly stressed lately that I haven't been properly appreciating all that I have done and accomplished in the past. Having something to look forward to again is really helping, that's for sure.

I wonder if I can find a 1912 penny for my visit to the Grand Hotel???

Many thanks again,
Malia

Anonymous said...

Hi Malia.... Gee we've missed you... I'm sure glad that you aren't giving up.

Take more than a penny with you when you go to the Grand. They charge $20.00 just to enter the front door now.

You also want to be sure to try the pasties in the UP.

Hugs,
Helen

Dale said...

Malia,

I am so glad to see you posting again. I was so envious of your Blue Ridge tour. Our daughter lives in Charlottesville and we have yet to explore that area. But then there is that new grandson we like to spend time with!

Glad to see you are getting Inspiration fixed up. I think there is a LOT of life left in her. Get out there on the road. Hope our paths cross again!

Dale (Pace), Class of '05

Malia said...

You guys are the best - thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement! I'm still not exactly sure anymore of where I'm going this summer - I may end up in Oregon again because my niece is getting married and I'd sure like to be there for that. I'll try to post more, but writing has been like pulling teeth for me lately!

James and Monique Thompson said...

Malia,

I so appreciate all your information provided on your different sites. We are thinking about following your trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway. We are in SC and plan to head to upstate NY for at least part of the summer. We could easily follow the Blue Ridge as we head north. If so your postings will be invaluable.

We spent last summer in Wisconsin and the UP. Here is a link to our Blog fro some information about the UP. The posting works its way backwards from Gladstone to Sault Ste Marie: http://jmrvtravels.blogspot.com/search?q=sault+ste+marie

In Sault Ste Marie, stay at Aune-Osborne park. (http://www.sault-sainte-marie.mi.us/Parks/Aune_Osborn.html) Ask for a front row or water's edge spot so you can have a great view of the ships coming by.

I also recommend going west in the UP to visit the Keweenaw Peninsula. Stay at the Houghton City Campground. Here is our Blog entry about that visit: http://jmrvtravels.blogspot.com/search?q=keweenaw

We also loved our time in Wisconsin. You can look elsewhere in our Blog if interested or email us if you have more questions about the areas we visited. Oh and try the Jilberts Ice Cream while in the UP. It is the best I have ever had.

Thanks again for all your information. You are such a great writer and provide so much useful information.

James and Monique Thompson

xPert said...

Hi, Nice post here, i had to repair my RV roof, so where should i go for RV roof Repair. Do your know any thing about it.

cruzin2some said...

I have a friend that had some of the same symptoms that you described about sleep patterns and feeling tired and have a foggy brain. After two years going to doctors and having many test run, she found out that she Graves disease. She had her thyroid removed and takes a pill everday. She started feeling better within weeks. This might be something you might want to have checked.

Tony Cornett aka Firedude said...

I think it's time for an update!

Travels of Gerald said...

I worry about you Malia, you have not posted in such a lone time. Did you get your RV fix up to par?

Bill B said...

Milia - not sure where you are at on the MI trip - Thought that I saw it on the 2010 schedule. There are lots of great places here in MI to camp / explore. I guess the biggest thing is what do you like to do?? and when is your visiting time frame??

wburton999 at gmail dot com

Malia said...

Bill B: Yep, the Michigan trip is on the agenda for this summer since I just couldn't make it last year. I plan to spend some time in Detroit area mainly because my virtual assistance clients are there. But the UP and Mackanic Island are must-sees. I'll probably leave Austin sometime in May and take my time getting up there. Thanks for the interest!

Malia said...

Whitey: You are so kind to worry about me. The RV is almost fixed for a big trip, but I'm still working on things like the ABS brake light is on, etc. I'll try to be better about posting, but it's just not been easy to find the time lately... Thanks again!

Malia said...

Tony, my friend - I'm working on another post, so please be patient...I miss you all!

Malia said...

Dawn and Denise: I will have that checked next time I get bloodwork done. I'm pretty sure doc checked thyroid last year. I'd never heard of Graves before and Googled it - certainly have some of the symptoms, but not all. Main thing that's really got me down is the insomnia and nothing I've tried has helped that...thanks so much for your caring!

Malia said...

SEO Expert: I really haven't had problem with my roof (knock on wood!). It's fiberglass, not rubber. Sorry I can't help with that recommendation...

Malia said...

James & Monique: I'm keeping your recommendations in my Michigan dreaming file - thanks so very much for the info and the nice compliments!